The Flying Penguin Press
October 18, 1997
Dirt Cheap! It's Free!
I remind the textually challenged that the Flying Penguin is published on a monthly-maybe basis (maybe I'll print it this month, and maybe I won't. You don't like it? Go suck on a muffler...). This newsletter is, and always will be FREE! Why am I doing this? Probably because I need my head examined!
For the benefit of nameless parties (oh okay, I'll name them: park employees) I'm not selling anything. This is a free service I provide for my fellow fliers because the aforementioned nameless people have a problem with RC want-ads on the field's bulletin board (oh, but hanging posters for gun shows at the shooting range is okay, though... nice double standard).
As always, posting an ad in the Penguin is FREE, but if you'd like to show your appreciation for my efforts here, I will gladly accept a donation of two dollars. This donation is strictly voluntary, but if you want to show your support, it would be appreciated, (and you'll be helping support my bad habits). Please send in your ads now for next month's issue. Send your ads to:
c/o Robert Osorio
12555 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 832
North Miami, FL 33181-2597
892-9007 Fax: (305) 893-6221
Please include your name, city, and phone number. Ads can be for anything having to do with modeling: used items for sale, want-ads, building services, contests, event announcements, death threats, etc. Copies of The Flying Penguin are available at Markham Park (get 'em when you can, the Park police are stealing them again), Coral Springs Condors Field (courtesy Marv Grubb), Gulf Hobbies in Hollywood (954) 987-7500, and Orange Blossom Hobbies in Miami (305) 633-2521 (courtesy of Charles Rodriguez).
You can also read the Flying Penguin on-line at the Flying Penguin Web-Site of Love at:
If you'd like a subscription, send me a book of stamps and I'll mail you an issue each month. If you'd like me to Fax the Penguin to you each month (you must have a fax that answers automatically), contact me with your Fax number. REMEMBER, IT'S FREE!
Send me your drawings, cartoons, or photos to share with us. Editorials and articles will be reviewed for submission (and then promptly tossed in the trash).
The Flying Penguin
Well, I know its going to disappoint some of you (and cheer up a whole lot of you) but Ive stopped writing the weekly Flying Penguins Coop column in R/C Report magazine. I got in over my head on some other projects and I got very busy at work, so I just couldnt commit the time to it (and frankly, I was running outta crap to write about anyway...).
Gordon Banks, R/C Reports editor, has left the door open for me and I would certainly like to take another stab at it again sometime. I really enjoyed writing the column (and they actually pay you for writing that crap!). Maybe Ill take a year sabbatical and then give it another go.
For those of you who are connected to the Internet, Ill be posting the ten columns I wrote for R/C Report on my web site. One difference, though - most of these are my original drafts before Gordon and I "sanitized" them for a family magazine (I dont know, when I was growing up I heard lots of friggin cussing in my home - mostly from my old man - and it never bothered me worth a crap...).
#10 - Glow plugs that last a year.
#9 - Engines that start on the first flip every time.
#8 - A gas engine that weighs less than a lawnmower.
#7 - Clear glow fuel.
#6 - Five knots blowing right down the runway and no rain in sight.
#5 - Straight work benches
#4 - Enough money for that next big project.
#3 - The flying field all to yourself on a Sunday afternoon.
#2 - A 1/3 scale Twin Beechcraft.
#1 - A Playboy centerfold model showing up at the flying field with a 1/3 scale Twin Beechcraft who needs someone to take it up for her (oh yeah...)
This news story doesnt exactly apply to R/C flying (except that Ive heard of something similar happening involving bullets and a glow starter in someones pocket), but I thought it had a good safety lesson to teach (and it was just too damn funny...). Just remember, the President comes from Arkansas...
From the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, July 25, 1996:
Two Local Men Injured in Freak Truck Accident, Cotton Patch, Ark.
Two local men were seriously injured when their pick-up truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38 early Monday morning. Woodruff County deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock are listed in serious condition at Baptist Medical Centre. The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog gigging trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pick-up truck headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded on east-bound toward the White River bridge. After travelling approximately twenty miles and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply to the right exiting the pavement and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident, but will require surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released. "Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his nuts off or we might both be dead" stated Wallis. "I've been a trooper for ten years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how this accident happened", said Snyder. Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia, Poole's wife asked how many frogs the boys had caught and did anyone get them from the truck.
AMA membership Renewal:
"Crap, another $40 bucks and a worthless magazine
"YAWN! Hardly worth blowing a stamp on, is it?"
Robert Osorio - editor
Canopy & tailboom for Schlueter Champion .60 Heli. Need for crash parts.
Raul - (305) 471-7973 (work) (305) 220-6399 (home) (Miami, FL)
4-Cycle Engines, Will swap 35mm Cameras, 12 G Shotgun, or Color TVs.
Jacob - (954) 455-0043 (Broward, FL)
- Cermark Sukoi 60, ASP 75, OS carb, BB servos, 6v 1300mah battery, RTF less radio. $300 OBO
- GeeBee Dreamer 40, 46SF OS Max ABC, tuned pipe (a screamer), 4 ch Conquest Futaba Radio, RTF $325 OBO
- Morris Hobbies Profile Hots, OS Max 32 SF ABC, tuned pipe, Futaba 148 servos, battery, less radio. RTF $275 OBO
- Goldberg Ultimate, new Webra 120 w/articulating pump, BB servos, 6v 1300 mah battery, Futaba FM Super7. RTF $900 OBO. Will sell Super7 trans & rcvr seperately (new rcvr on ch 14)
- DAD Mixer, for Flaperons. $25 OBO
MUST SELL! ALL PRICES NEGOTIABLE!
Jeff - (305) 595-2762 (Miami, FL) - Leave message
GETTING OUT OF HOBBY - AGE 75 & FAILING HEALTH
Planes: RCM Trainer w/OS 26 Surpass, $100; Telemaster w/Enya 45, $175; Kadet MkIV, framed up, ST 34, $125, Pond Hopper flying boat, 75% framed up, scratch built , incl. wheels, $35; Sig Wonder 50% finished, $25; Klingberg Flying Wing, wing partially built, $25; Futaba 5ch FG, $80; Engines: Fox .45 w/CW & CCW crankshaft; Field Equip: Ace Digipace, ACE HD500 pwr supply, flight meter, trickle charger $100 lot; Flight box, fuel caddy, elec pump, starter, mini starter, $250 lot; Building Supplies: 6 boxes assort. Balsa sheets, planks & sticks, Ply, wheels, eng mounts, servos, hardware, props, sandpaper, tools, covering, foam plank, tanks, spinner, music wire, prop balancer, $250 lot. Electric Plane Gear: All never used, Astro-Flight AC/DC variable rate charger, Graupner Speed 600 motot, Graupner Power MOS 30 spd control, 2 - Sanyo 7 cell packs, $100 lot; Kits (NIB): Chuperosa 1-1/2 meter sailplane, $35; Pup II .02 electric, $10.
John - (330) 499-3092 (Canton, Ohio)
- Rapier, new, never flown, HB 40 engine, Monokote finish. Comes with old Kraft radio. Just add your radio & fuel. $225 or Make Offer
- Cox Sailboat, excellent condition. $75
Jim - Days: (954) 983-7519 Eves: (954) 434-7471 Pager: (305) 399-3270
- Lazy Ace Bipe, 72" span, 31cc (1.9) gas eng., 5- S148 servos. Just add radio & battery. Flies great. $425
- Ultra Sport 60, foam wing, S.T. 60, Futaba 6ch FM. $275
- Liberty Sport Bipe, 58" wing span, Webra 60, Pitts muffler, 4- S148 servos. $125
- Astro Hog, foam wing, w/ S.T. 60, no muffler: $125 or w/ S.T. 90 and muffler. $175
- OS Max 1.08, w/muffler & aluminum mount. $125
- "Hot Shot" Tunnel Hull (Mahogany) boat, 24"L x 12"w w/ 3.5cc K&B outboard, Futaba 4 ch & 2 servos. $150
Joe - (561) 483-5784 (Boca Raton, FL)
Model, finished or unfinished, to trade or for cash. Have
many planes for sale or trade.
Gary - (954) 791-9592 eves. (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
Broken/crashed Hobbico trainers or parts.
David - (954) 522-8363 (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- Webra .61 new, rear exhaust. $125 or will trade for good 40 - 60 size engine with side exhaust & muffler.
John (954) 962-8575 (Hollywood, FL)
- Zenoah G-23. New, never run. Throttle linkage & Pitts muff. $255
Joe (561) 470-9395 (Boca Raton, FL)
- Byrons F-16, Eng, retracts, electronics, minus radio & rcvr. $650
- Kyosho Inferno R/C Car, OS Max 21, 9301 servos, like new. $375
- Yellow Aircraft F-16, unbuilt. Scale retracts, OS Max .91, fan & pipe. Brand new. $1,000
Frank - (305) 649-3721 (Miami, FL)
- Great Planes Spitfire .40 ARF, Brand New w/o engine .40 to .45 would be awesome this plane is in superior condition. $125 or best offer.
It is already built and been flown about 5-7 times
Rich - (304) 755-7019 - (Winfield, West Virginia)
- Pica 1/5 scale WACO 72" YMF-3, OS 1.20 4 cycle, servos. $400
- Skybolt, 72" span, ST-4500, 23 lbs, servos. $700
- Laser 42%, 120" span, Sachs 5.8, 35 lbs, smoke, 1/4 scale servos. $1,500
- Sukoi SU26M, 94" span, 100cc King, 33 lbs, servos. $1,500
- Byrons F-16 Jet, Rossi 90, servos. $800
- Bud Nosen 1/4 scale J-3 Cub, 108", 21 lbs, Sachs 3.2, servos. $1000
Paul - (954) 472-6323 (Davie, FL)
- Schluter Champion 60 Heli, w/ spare crash parts. $500
- Carden Super Bandido, 96" span, 74" fuse, G62, all servos, Futaba 1024 PCM 5 ch, RTF. $1,500
- EZ Commander 40, ST 40, Fuataba Radio & servos. $125
- 2 ASP 1.08 Engines
- Futaba 136G Retract Servo. $30
- Supra Retracts. $25
- Century Ninja Pro 46 Heli, OS 46. $400
MUST SELL! MUST SELL! MUST SELL!
Jerry - (954) 489-1432 (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
|New R/C kits, engines, and accessories for sale below mail order prices. For complete list contact Jimmy Jemail via Compuserve 102203,2601 or call (954) 753-0650 (Pompano, FL)||Planes Built, Assembled, Recovered & Repaired. Flite boxes made to order. Stan - (305) 931-7188 (North Miami)|
- BVM Viper Ducted Fan, 75% finished, glass & carbon fiber. BVM K&B .82 engine, on board mixture, oleo struts, decals, retracts. $1,000
- Conquest Air Pattern Plane, w/retracts, YS engine. $200
- Calypso Pattern Plane, w/Weber .61, Futaba PCM 7ch, $300
- Great Planes P-51, needs repair. $50
- Model Tech Sukoi, Almost Ready to Cover, new in box, $200
- OS Max 1.20 4-stroke, low hours. $250
- OS .91 FS 4-stroke, used. $175
- Weber .91, w/muffler. $150
2 - Super Tiger Bluehead .60, $80
4 - JR Servos, Ball Bearing, make offer
2 - OS .15, w/muffler. Make offer
3 - Rhom-Air Gear Sets, Nose & mains, w/plumbing & tanks, $40 per set
- Asst. Spray Paint, Parts, etc. Getting out of hobby.
>>> ALL PRICES NEGOTIABLE <<<
- Weber .61, w/o muffler. $30
*** I Have Lot's of Engines - BUY / SELL / TRADE ***
Brian - (954) 979-8718 (Margate, FL)
- 35% Carden Extra 300S, 5.8 Sachs, $1,300. plane only: $800 OBO
Possible trade for ducted fan jet.
- Easy Fly 40, Thunder Tiger .40, engine has 2 flights. 4ch FM radio. Plane recently re-covered. $250 Ready-to-Fly
- Trillium Balsa PS295. New in box. Fiberglass cowl & pants. $250
Keith - (954) 987-3435 (Hollywood, FL)
- Precision Eagle 4.2 Engine, TOC Glow version, exc. cond., complete w/ lightweight Dern quiet muffler. Incredibly powerful and smooth. Little time since purchase (used) from Bob Geofrey in 96. $450 OBO
Barry - (508) 521-1618 EST, eves 7-10pm (Massachusetts) or E-mail: email@example.com
- MVVS 120 2-stroke Engine, NIB, w/exhaust system. Cost $399, will sell for $350 Firm
- Super Tiger 3250, NIB. w/muffler. $219
- ASP 1.08, w/muffler, used but not abused. $100
- Pair of retracts for Giant Scale P-51 (100" span), Bud Nosen or similar mod # 145-5. $200 Firm
- Great Planes F-14 Tomcat, w/Spring Air retracts & OS 61 FSR, w/pipe. Ready to Fly, just drop radio in and go. $350
Charles - (954) 920-4441 (Pembroke Pines, FL)
- F-14 Tamzecat, 2 seperate wings: one straight & one swept, fly with either one. Covered & looks just like the advertised photo, w/.45 engine . $130
Sal - (954) 752-6106 (Coral Springs, FL)
- Bud Nosen 1/4 scale P-47 Kit, NIB 102" span. $200
- 1/4 Scale Retracts, new. $200
- Profile Hots, w/OS 32. $200
Steve - (954) 450-3562 (Pembroke Pines, FL)
- Balsa USA Laker Seaplane, 68" span, with removable wheels. Just built. $200. With .46 engine: $250
- Great Planes Cap 21, 60" span, never flown. $250
- New K&B Ducted Fan Engine, .82 with Dynamax fan. $250
- Futaba 7 ch G/K series radio, 4 servos, complete. $125
- Futaba FP4NBL Attack 4 AM, w/ 3 servos. $70
- Great Planes wing jig, $10
- Great Planes R/C Balancer, $10
- Starter, $10
- Flight Box, $10
- Heat Gun & Iron, $15
*** LOTS OF ENGINES, PIPES AND MUFFLERS ***
SELL OR TRADE
Jim (954) 923-7715 (Hollywood, FL)
- Citabria, OS .70 Surpass 4 cyl, radio. $450
- Champion Shuler 60 Heli, complete w/radio. $575
- Hirobo Shuttle .30 Heli, w/radio. $450
- Ace 4-40, $130
- Sig Cobra, w/OS .45. $125
- Great Planes PT-60, w/ servos $180
- OS .60 FS, run 3 times, almost new, $89
- Rossi .60, side exhaust, new in box, $99
- Rossi .90, new in box, $249
- Rossi Pipes, Header, carbs, plugs & other parts - new & used for .60's
- Lanier P-51, new , $59
- Lanier Invader, $49
- Magnum Pro .45 & GP .40, new.
- Cox .049, .051, .09, new in box. Many other items. SELL * BUY * TRADE
Isaac - (305) 672-8610 Sun - Fri 9am - 10pm (Miami, FL)
- HB .40 PDP Engine, w/muffler
- OS .35 FP, w/muffler. Runs great! $35
Will trade both for .61 (OS preferred but not necessary)
Eddie - (954) 389-5212 (Weston)
- Ace 30% Extra 230, smoker, spring starter, quality BB servos, RTF $1,200
- Futaba Super 7, transmitter & receiver. $200
- Ace Seamaster 120, plane only. EXCELLENT CONDITION! $225
TRADE ANY OF ABOVE FOR NEW IN BOX G-62 OR
LABOR FOR BUILDING & REPAIRS
- Direct Connections F20 Tigershark, retracts, Rossi .45 w/tuned pipe RTF $400
Jeff - (954) 562-3504 (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- Futaba FX-10, 2 wheel drive car w/ 2 stick radio dry w/ 2 road tires & rims - no body. USED. $80
- Futaba FX-10, 2 wheel drive car w/ 2 stick radio dry w/ body. USED. $95
- Futaba FX-10, 2 wheel drive car w/ 2 stick radio dry w/body. NEW. $130
- Flitecraft Minuteman .40, w/ Fox .40 RC, Futaba AM Radio, 4 servos, battery, receiver. ALL NEW. - plus used transmitter. $275
- Lots of Great Planes hardware, fittings, hinges, drill & tap sets, rods, connectors, heat shrink. 1/2 orig. price
Russ (Beeper) (954) 402-5589 (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
SALE- Left Hobby need to liquidate!
- King Kobra, OS 61 FSR ABC w/type 7M carb, Spring Air Retracts, Futaba 8 ch PCM w/5 FPS130 servos. $500
- Kougar, OS 45 FSR ABC, JR Century VII w/4 servos. $350
- Seamaster, OS 45 FSR ABC, 4 servos (no radio). $250
All first class construction and finish.
- Pica Rapier, wing, fuse & tail 80% finished. $50
- Top Flight P-51, 70% finished. $65
- Miss Ft. Worth, kit by Cunningham. $60
- 2 OS 30 Wankels, $75 ea.
- Flight Box, custom Woodcraft, power panel, 12V Bat & starter $100
- Misc: servos, 2 Futaba AM 6 ch radios, Battery Cycler, chargers, wheels, covering, tools, tanks, & enough small parts to open a hobby store!
Will sell individually, but would prefer to sell all together. May consider trade for reliable auto of equal value.
Jim - (954) 929-4828 or (954) 925-1112 (Hollywood, FL)
|Will Trade or
Sell OS .60 FP - Looking for 90 or 1.20 2-stroke engine
Stan - (305) 931-7188 (North Miami, FL)
Midwest AT-6, OS 120FS & servos. Never flown. A1 workmanship. Contest ready. First serious offer of $700
Stan - (561) 750-2172 (Boca Raton, FL)