The Flying Penguin Press
July 13, 1997
Dirt Cheap! It's Free!
I remind the textually challenged that the Flying Penguin is published on a monthly-maybe basis (maybe I'll print it this month, and maybe I won't. You don't like it? Go suck on a muffler...). This newsletter is, and always will be FREE! Why am I doing this? Probably because I need my head examined!
For the benefit of nameless parties (oh okay, I'll name them: park employees) I'm not selling anything. This is a free service I provide for my fellow fliers because the aforementioned nameless people have a problem with RC want-ads on the field's bulletin board (oh, but hanging posters for gun shows at the shooting range is okay, though... nice double standard).
As always, posting an ad in the Penguin is FREE, but if you'd like to show your appreciation for my efforts here, I will gladly accept a donation of two dollars. This donation is strictly voluntary, but if you want to show your support, it would be appreciated, (and you'll be helping support my bad habits). Please send in your ads now for next month's issue. Send your ads to:
The Flying Penguin
12555 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 832
North Miami, FL 33181-2597
Phone: (305) 892-9007 Fax: (305) 893-6221
>>> NOTE: NEW WEB-SITE ADDRESS! <<<
Please include your name, city, and phone number. Ads can be for anything having to do with modeling: used items for sale, want-ads, building services, contests, event announcements, death threats, etc. Copies of The Flying Penguin are available at Markham Park (get 'em when you can, the Park police are stealing them again), Coral Springs Condors Field (courtesy Marv Grubb), Gulf Hobbies in Hollywood (954) 987-7500, and Orange Blossom Hobbies in Miami (305) 633-2521 (courtesy of Charles Rodriguez).
You can also read the Flying Penguin on-line at the Flying Penguin Web-Site of Love at:
If you'd like a subscription, send me a book of stamps and I'll mail you an issue each month. If you'd like me to Fax the Penguin to you each month (you must have a fax that answers automatically), contact me with your Fax number. REMEMBER, IT'S FREE!
Send me your drawings, cartoons, or photos to share with us. Editorials and articles will be reviewed for submission (and then promptly tossed in the trash).
The Flying Penguin
by Clay Ramskill
Courtesy June 1997 issue of
Richmond Area Radio Control Club newsletter
Tom Pearson, Editor
There are several carburetor designs, and each of them seems to have its own potential spots for air leaks, and then its own peculiar "fixes" for those leaky areas. We'll attack these by area, and try to mention particular brands as they apply.
The carb-crankcase connection: OS and clones (ASP, Magnum, Royal, etc.), and many other brands use an "0" ring here. The problem is that the carb seats solidly at the bottom without putting much pressure on the 0-ring, or the 0-ring is just too small or worn out. Use a new ring, one that is thicker, or double-ring it. You could also grind or file a bit off the bottom of the carb so that it will slide in lower and put more pressure on the 0-ring. Fox carbs are peculiar in that they are square, and are sealed entirely by silicone sealant. Use the high-temperature type.
The high-speed needle. An endemic problem, because most carb designs require that the threads be a little
loose between the needle and its housing so that the needle can "float" a bit up near its point, to allow for manufacturing tolerances being slightly off, Fox, some K&B and OS FP are particularly susceptible-use some fuel tubing to
make a "gasket" at the joint between the needle and its housing. The more expensive OS and clone carbs use
tiny 0-rings to provide a good seal and allow some movement. The problem here is usually with the clones as they don't use a good 0-ring, or the seats for the rings are too
deep or too wide, and they leak! The OS 0-rings are available - if the 0-ring seats are not done correctly, though, you may be out of luck?
The low-speed needle. On Fox carbs the same applies as for the high speed needle. Most OS and clones use some type of packing inside the carbs barrel to seal this needle - I don't know of a fix if its loose, other than perhaps some silicone sealant.
The fuel inlet nipple: On Foxes, they just screw in; tighten or use some LOCKTITE, also. Many other brands such as OS and clones have a tiny gasket for the nipple - it can break or just be squeezed out, causing a bad leak. The same may apply for the nipple for muffler pressure.Picture Publisher Buy or make a new one if this happens.
The idle stop screw: Can easily be a problem, especially OS and clones that use a gasketed housing that screws into the carb body, and the screw then goes into this small housing. The little gasket can fail, or the screw - housing joint gets sloppy. Fox and some K&B carbs just use a little spring to keep the screw from backing out; with some vibration, these can really get sloppy. Sealant and maybe a locknut on the screw can cure this.
The barrel - housing joint: On the low-needle side, the joint between the carb body and the barrel is open. Super Tigre and some other brands use a rubber cover to secure this joint. On other brands, if the fit between the barrel and the carb body gets too loose, it will leak, and there's not much you can do about it, except replace the carb!
TROUBLESHOOTING: If you can't get fuel to the carb by choking the engine, suspect an air leak in the carb if your fuel line is in good shape. Smaller air leaks show up
when your engine tends to lean out badly going uphill in the air.
As concerns the 0-ring between the carb and the body, remove the carb and replace with a piece of paper between the 0-ring and the carb. The paper should be hard to remove, or even tear; if not, there just isn't enough pressure on it.
Other leaks - remove the carb, put some spare fuel tubing on the inlet nipple. Holding your thumb and fingers over the top and bottom air holes, insert the carb into water and blow, turning the carb over so various areas are on top. Wherever air comes OUT, air can get IN! This little exercise may amaze you - and with an older unit, blow your mind! In general, the larger the bubbles, the worse the leak. Be sure to oil the carb afterwards to prevent rust.
Robert Osorio - editor
- Lazy Ace Bipe, 72" span, 31cc (1.9) gas eng., 5- S148 servos. Just add radio & battery. Flies great. $425
- Ultra Sport 60, foam wing, S.T. 60, Futaba 6ch FM. $275
- Liberty Sport Bipe, 58" wing span, Webra 60, Pitts muffler, 4- S148 servos. $125
- Astro Hog, foam wing, w/ S.T. 60, no muffler: $125 or w/ S.T. 90 and muffler. $175
- OS Max 1.08, w/muffler & aluminum mount. $125
- "Hot Shot" Tunnel Hull (Mahogany) boat, 24"L x 12"w w/ 3.5cc K&B outboard, Futaba 4 ch & 2 servos. $150
Joe - (561) 483-5784 (Boca Raton, FL)
- Summit Pattern Plane, OS 61 Rear Exhst, new. Painted & RTF. $350 less radio.
- 40 Kaos, $150 w/o radio.
- Reno Pylon Race Model L250, w/ OS rear exhst. No radio but rigged and ready. $200 OBO
- Birdie 10, 70% complete. $30
- Scat-Cat Quickie 500, No engine, rigged & ready. $60 OBO
- Super Sportster 60, 70% finished. $100
- Top-Flite P-51B Mustang, covered & almost ready to fly.
- Top-Flite P-51D, covered & almost ready to fly.
- Quickie 500, $60
- Top Flite Corsair, 75% finished. Wing & fuse framed up. The hard part's done! I also have retracts for this kit. $190 OBO
- Miniature Aircraft X-Cell .60 Heli, w/spare main blades, Futaba Super 7 heli radio, like new, flown no more than 10 times. $850 OBO or trade for jet
- .35 & .40 OS & Magnum engines, reasonably priced
- Many finished & unfinished planes, engines (50+) and parts (OS, HP, ASP, Enya, etc.), spare wings for popular planes.
Schluter Champion 60 Heli parts
Gary - (954) 791-9592 eves. (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
- O.S. 32SX Heli Engine, new, $100
Rick - Leave Message: (954) 572-7064 (Sunrise, FL)
|New R/C kits, engines, and accessories for sale below mail order prices. For complete list contact Jimmy Jemail via Compuserve 102203,2601 or call (954) 753-0650 (Pompano, FL)|
- Byrons F-16, Eng, retracts, electronics, minus radio & rcvr. $650
- Goldberg Super Chipmunk, new in box. $85
- Great Planes Sportster Bipe, ready to fly, $160
- Kyosho Inferno R/C Car, OS Max 21, 9301 servos, like new. $375
- Yellow Aircraft F-16, unbuilt. Scale retracts, OS Max .91, fan & pipe. Brand new. $1,000
- Great Planes P-51 ARF, new. OS 70 4-cycle. Mew mechanical retracts and servo. $375
Frank - (305) 649-3721 (Miami, FL)
- Pica 1/5 scale WACO 72" YMF-3, OS 1.20 4 cycle, servos. $400
- Skybolt, 72" span, ST-4500, 23 lbs, servos. $700
- Laser 42%, 120" span, Sachs 5.8, 35 lbs, smoke, 1/4 scale servos. $1,500
- Sukoi SU26M, 94" span, 100cc King, 33 lbs, servos. $1,500
- Byrons F-16 Jet, Rossi 90, servos. $800
- Bud Nosen 1/4 scale J-3 Cub, 108", 21 lbs, Sachs 3.2, servos. $1000
Paul - (954) 472-6323 (Davie, FL)
- Great Planes Spitfire .40 ARF, Brand New w/o engine .40 to .45 would be awesome this plane is in superior condition. $125 or best offer. It is already built and been flown about 5-7 times
Rich - (304) 755-7019 - (Winfield, West Virginia)
Canopy & tailboom for Schlueter Champion .60 Heli. Need for crash parts.
Raul - (305) 471-7973 (work) (305) 220-6399 (home) (Miami, FL)
Skylark Heli Simulator, complete w/ software & I/O card. $65
also have a Kantronics Packet Communicator 3 w/ all software, etc. $75
Eddie - (561) 477-5931 (Boca Raton, FL)
- Webra .61 new, rear exhaust. $125 or will trade for good 40 - 60 size engine with side exhaust & muffler.
John (954) 962-8575 (Hollywood, FL)
- Schluter Champion 60 Heli, w/ spare crash parts. $500
- Carden Super Bandido, 96" span, 74" fuse, G62, all servos, Futaba 1024 PCM 5 ch, RTF. $1,500
- EZ Commander 40, ST 40, Fuataba Radio & servos. $125
- 2 ASP 1.08 Engines
- Futaba 136G Retract Servo. $30
- Supra Retracts. $25
- Century Ninja Pro 46 Heli, OS 46. $400
MUST SELL! MUST SELL! MUST SELL!
Jerry - (954) 489-1432 (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- SuperStar 40 Trainer, S.T. GS .40 ringed engine, aluminum landing gear, good condition. $120
- Lanier Indicator Kit, brand new. $20
- OS FP 35, excellent condition. $25
Jack - (954) 255-0974 (Broward, FL)
- BVM Viper Ducted Fan, 75% finished, glass & carbon fiber. BVM K&B .82 engine, on board mixture, oleo struts, decals, retracts. $1,000
- Conquest Air Pattern Plane, w/retracts, YS engine. $200
- Calypso Pattern Plane, w/Weber .61, Futaba PCM 7ch, $300
- Great Planes P-51, needs repair. $50
- Model Tech Sukoi, Almost Ready to Cover, new in box, $200
- OS Max 1.20 4-stroke, low hours. $250
- OS .91 FS 4-stroke, used. $175
- Weber .91, w/muffler. $150
2 - Super Tiger Bluehead .60, $80
4 - JR Servos, Ball Bearing, make offer
2 - OS .15, w/muffler. Make offer
3 - Rhom-Air Gear Sets, Nose & mains, w/plumbing & tanks, $40 per set
- Asst. Spray Paint, Parts, etc. Getting out of hobby.
>>> ALL PRICES NEGOTIABLE <<<
- Weber .61, w/o muffler. $30
*** I Have Lot's of Engines - BUY / SELL / TRADE ***
Brian - (954) 979-8718 (Margate, FL)
SALE- Left Hobby need to liquidate!
- King Kobra, OS 61 FSR ABC w/type 7M carb, Spring Air Retracts, Futaba 8 ch PCM w/5 FPS130 servos. $750
- Kougar, OS 45 FSR ABC, JR Century VII w/4 servos. $500
- Seamaster, OS 45 FSR ABC, 4 servos (no radio). $450
All first class construction and finish.
- Pica Rapier, wing, fuse & tail 80% finished. $60
- Top Flight P-51, wing w/MK retracts 70% finished. $100
- MK Arrow, kit. All wood. $100
- Miss Ft. Worth, kit by Cunningham. $75
- 2 OS 30 Wankels, $100 ea
- OS FS 60, original 4-stroke. $60
- Supertigre 60, $50
- Flight Box, custom Woodcraft, power panel, 12V Batt & starter. $125
- Misc: servos, 2 Futaba AM 6 ch radios, Battery Cycler, chargers, wheels, covering, tools, tanks, & enough small parts to open a hobby store!
Will sell individually, but would prefer to sell all for $2,200. May consider trade for reliable auto of equal value.
Jim - (954) 929-4828 or (954) 925-1112 (Hollywood, FL)
- Ace 33% Extra 230, Sachs 3.2, 5- Airtronics 732 and 2- 102 servos. Bought at estate sale. Flyable but could use some repair and recovering. Airframe only: $150, w/servos: $250, complete less radio: $500 OBO
- Precision Eagle 4.2 Engine, TOC Glow version, exc. cond., complete w/ lightweight Dern quiet muffler. Incredibly powerful and smooth. Little time since purchase (used) from Bob Geofrey in 96. $450 OBO
- Ace 33% Weeks Special Bipe, lightweight, great cond., metallic red w/ white trim. Bought at estate sale, RTF - just add engine (set up for Sachs 3.2) and radio. $300 OBO
Barry - (508) 521-1618 EST, eves 7-10pm (Massachusetts)
- Citabria, OS .70 Surpass 4 cyl, radio. $450
- Champion Shuler 60 Heli, complete w/radio. $575
- Hirobo Shuttle .30 Heli, w/radio. $450
- Ace 4-40, $130
- Sig Cobra, w/OS .45. $125
- Great Planes PT-60, w/ servos $180
- OS .60 FS, run 3 times, almost new, $89
- Rossi .60, side exhaust, new in box, $99
- Rossi .90, new in box, $249
- Rossi Pipes, Header, carbs, plugs & other parts - new & used for .60's
- Lanier P-51, new , $59
- Lanier Invader, $49
- Magnum Pro .45 & GP .40, new.
- Cox .049, .051, .09, new in box. Many other items. SELL * BUY * TRADE
Isaac - (305) 672-8610 Sun - Fri 9am - 10pm (Miami, FL)
- F-14 Tamecat, 2 seperate wings: one straight & one swept, fly with either one. Covered & looks just like the advertised photo, w/.45 engine . $130
Sal - (954) 752-6106 (Coral Springs, FL)
Right Flyer T40 Trainer, engine, radio, tool stand, elec. starter & battery. $400
Adam - (954) 434-3733 after 5pm (Davie, FL)
- Super Tiger G21 series .46 engine
- Super Tiger V .60 engine
- For K&B Sky Fury .049: drive washer; For Veco 35: drive washer; For ST G21 .46: Hd., new or LN, 3 rear bearings new.
- Midwest Models Skyraider CL profile stunt Kit, 48" span
- Rossi .15 Engines, Mark 2 or Mark 3 Blackhead
- Old model airplane ignition engines and/or parts. Glow control-line engines and parts. Control-line kits.
Gabe (407) 878-9220 (Port St. Lucie, FL)
- Sullivan Starter, $13
- Great Planes Electric Motor w/ folding prop, $20
- Futaba 4 ch Conquest Radio, compete w/ questionable recvr - make offer
- Great Planes Super Sportster Bipe, never flown, $250 w/o engine
- Rossi .40, like new. $95
- Great Planes CAP 21, 60" wing span. Just completed, never flown - mint. $250 w/o engine
- Enya & O.S. R/C, 2 cyl, 4 cyl engines! Call!
- Kraft 5 channel Radio, extra accesories & servos. Never used.
WILL TRADE ANY OF ABOVE
Jim (954) 923-7715 (Hollywood, FL)
|Will Trade or
Sell OS .60 FP - Looking for 90 or 1.20 2-stroke engine
Stan - (305) 931-7188 (North Miami, FL)
|Planes Built, Assembled, Recovered & Repaired. Flite boxes made to order. Stan - (305) 931-7188 (North Miami)|
Midwest AT-6, OS 120FS & servos. Never flown. A1 workmanship. Contest ready. First serious offer of $700
Stan - (561) 750-2172 (Boca Raton, FL)
- HB .40 PDP Engine, w/muffler
- OS .35 FP, w/muffler. Runs great! $35
Will trade both for .61 (OS preferred but not necessary)
Eddie - (954) 389-5212 (Weston)
- Ace 30% Extra 230, smoker, spring starter, quality BB servos, RTF $1,200
- Futaba Super 7, transmitter & receiver. $200
- Ace Seamaster 120, plane only. EXCELLENT CONDITION! $225
TRADE ANY OF ABOVE FOR NEW IN BOX G-62 OR
LABOR FOR BUILDING & REPAIRS
- Direct Connections F20 Tigershark, retracts, Rossi .45 w/tuned pipe RTF $400
Jeff - (954) 562-3504 (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- Futaba FX-10, 2 wheel drive car w/ 2 stick radio dry w/ 2 road tires & rims - no body. USED. $80
- Futaba FX-10, 2 wheel drive car w/ 2 stick radio dry w/ body. USED. $95
- Futaba FX-10, 2 wheel drive car w/ 2 stick radio dry w/body. NEW. $130
- Flitecraft Minuteman .40, w/ Fox .40 RC, Futaba AM Radio, 4 servos, battery, receiver. ALL NEW. - plus used transmitter. $275
- Lots of Great Planes hardware, fittings, hinges, drill & tap sets, rods, connectors, heat shrink. 1/2 orig. price
Russ (Beeper) (954) 402-5589 (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
- Dynamax Fan Unit, for OS .77 thru .90. New, all built. Never flown. $100
- Great Planes Electri-Cub, w/05 elec motor, no battery. $75 $50
- McColough 6 cu. (100cc) Gas Engine, Racing Engine, needs ignition system, $250
- Great Planes F-14 Tomcat w/Spring-Aire retracts & OS .61FSR w/tuned pipe !A Real Bullet! $350
Charles - (954) 920-4441 (Pembroke Pines, FL)