The Flying Penguin Press
April 9, 1997
Dirt Cheap! It's Free!
If you haven't seen me much at the field lately, it's because I've been busy as heck at work. Now with the warm weather coming along, I hope to have some time to enjoy flying again, make a general nuisance of myself with my camera, and continue in my undying quest to aggravate the crap out of park employees.
Once again I remind the textually challenged that the Flying Penguin is published on a monthly-maybe basis (maybe I'll print it this month, and maybe I won't. You don't like it? Ask me if I care...). This newsletter is, and always will be FREE! Why am I doing this? Probably because I need my head examined!
For the benefit of nameless parties (oh okay, I'll name them: park employees) I'm not selling anything. This is a free service I provide for my fellow fliers because the aforementioned nameless people have a problem with RC want-ads on the field's bulletin board (oh, but hanging posters for gun shows at the shooting range is okay, though... nice double standard).
As always, posting an ad in the Penguin is FREE, but if you'd like to show your appreciation for my efforts here, I will gladly accept a donation of two dollars. This donation is strictly voluntary, but if you want to show your support, it would be appreciated, (and you'll be helping support my bad habits). Please send in your ads now for next month's issue. Send your ads to:
The Flying Penguin
12555 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 832
North Miami, FL 33181-2597
Phone: (305) 892-9007
Fax: (305) 893-6221
>>> NOTE: NEW WEB-SITE ADDRESS! <<<
Please include your name, city, and phone number. Ads can be for anything having to do with modeling: used items for sale, want-ads, building services, contests, event announcements, death threats, etc. Copies of The Flying Penguin are available at Markham Park (get 'em when you can, the Park police are stealing them again), Coral Springs Condors Field (courtesy Marv Grubb), Gulf Hobbies in Hollywood (954) 987-7500, and Orange Blossom Hobbies in Miami (305) 633-2521 (courtesy of Charles Rodriguez).
You can also read the Flying Penguin on-line at the Flying Penguin Web-Site of Love at:
If you'd like a subscription, send me a book of stamps and I'll mail you an issue each month. If you'd like me to Fax the Penguin to you each month (you must have a fax that answers automatically), contact me with your Fax number. REMEMBER, IT'S FREE!
Send me your drawings, cartoons, or photos to share with us. Editorials and articles will be reviewed for submission (and then promptly tossed in the trash).
The Flying Penguin
RC Flea Market & Swap Meet, Markham Park, April 19th
Contact Stan Rudd, (305) 931-7188
Courtesy of Phil Bousquet, via the Internet (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Just the other day I picked up a great deal at one of these factory sponsored humongous fly-ins. Some dumb guy was sellin' this fantastic U-Control chopper real cheap. I just couldn't resist and I am now the proud owner of a twin rotor army style U-Control chopper. This is one of those transport choppers with 3 blades per rotor. It's really far out, it has 6 .049 Golden Bee powerhouse engines, one engine per blade and they are all geared together. Sounds great and I only paid $875.00 for the whole shootin' match, course the string and plastic handle was extra, $22.50.
Well now let me tell you how this bird performs. First of all you can't lift off vertically but that's all right, all you need is 7 buddies to help you. At first I had trouble because by the time I got all 6 engines started the first 2 would run out of fuel. NO PROBLEM! All you do is get 6 guys to start the engines at the same time, (how simple). Then you get the last guy to hold this screamin' bird over his head and give it a big shove away from center, (that's where your standing). We must have tried this a dozen times before I realized that you have to bend the tail rotor away from you to keep the thing from commin' at you and givin' you a real big hair cut. I found out real quick that main rotor blades aren't cheap, $36.95 each, I must have gone through 200 of them before I finally mastered this chopper.
Once I got airborne I realized all this thing wanted to do is climb. Boy did it climb, it climbed so fast that before I knew what was happening this baby was tryin' to bore a hole inverted in the pavement on the opposite side from where I launched. One of the guys said that I had just done a perfect "wing over", but it looked more like a "hammer head" to me. I found that if I glued a 6 ounce fishin' weight to the end of each rotor blade that this wouldn't happen any more. I was right, but now I have changed the engines to 6 Quadra Q 50's, those .049 golden bee's just ain't cuttin' it any more.
Now when I fire up this monster I sure get the attention of all those chicken RC guys. You should see these guys faces when all 6 Q 50's kick in. They know they are in for a show. I love the look on their faces when those rotor blades begin vibratin' and pickin' up speed. The noise is so loud that I even have trouble thinkin'. When I nod my head and get that ole heave ho this crankin' machine just hovers in place and blows a cloud of dust in all directions. What a sight.
Don't you know that my plastic handle broke. I am now using a Titanium body brace anchored 18 feet into the ground on a pivoting precision ball bearing platform with 3000 pound test line. Only cost me $63,000, and well worth it. The AMA wouldn't have it any other way. I now make appointments with the members of the flying club to find out when the field will be available and so far everyone is cooperating. The only bad part is when I fly I'm always the only one at the field.
I am currently working on perfecting my rolls with the chopper. I have installed a servo controlled full rotating flywheel disk on the longitudinal axis of the chopper and if I can just keep the rotor blades from cutting my cables I'll be ready for the next fun fly.
Yes this sure has been a challenge but it sure beats U-Control boats. Each run was so short, only 180 degrees. That really frosted me.
For those of you who access my web site on the Internet, I moved the web site again this month. I was having a lot of problems with the server it was on, and I finally gave up. I'm on a nice, fast server now, with lots of bandwidth. You should notice a difference - the server responds very quickly and the pages load very fast. Make a note of the new URL, and don't forget to update your bookmark.
Glenn Wheeler, email@example.com
The chance that you will totally trash your plane is directly proportional to your level of anxiety, times the number of planes that you have built, divided by the probability of flying your first plane at night and that you had to use a black covering on it.
Joe Sampietro, firstname.lastname@example.org
A: The number of times your charger false-peaks, times...
B: The amount of time you ignore the charger, divided by...
C: The amount of time you spend working on your buddy's airplane.
Leander Harding, email@example.com
John M. Sarran, firstname.lastname@example.org
Gary Johnson, email@example.com
Bill Tracy, BTRACY62@ix.netcom.com
James Copeland, firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Osorio - editor
- Pica 1/5 scale WACO 72" YMF-3, OS 1.20 4 cycle, servos. $400
- Skybolt, 72" span, ST-4500, 23 lbs, servos. $700
- Laser 42%, 120" span, Sachs 5.8, 35 lbs, smoke, 1/4 scale servos. $1,500
- Sukoi SU26M, 94" span, 100cc King, 33 lbs, servos. $1,500
- Byrons F-16 Jet, Rossi 90, servos. $800
- Bud Nosen 1/4 scale J-3 Cub, 108", 21 lbs, Sachs 3.2, servos. $1000
Paul - (954) 472-6323 (Davie, FL)
- Schluter Champion 60 Hwli, w/ spare crash parts. $500
- Carden Super Bandido, 96" span, 74" fuse, G62, all servos, Futaba 1024 PCM 5 ch, RTF. $1,500
- EZ Commander 40, ST 40, Fuataba Radio & servos. $125
- 2 ASP 1.08 Engines
- Futaba 136G Retract Servo. $30
- Supra Retracts. $25
- Century Ninja Pro 46 Heli, OS 46. $400
MUST SELL! MUST SELL! MUST SELL!
Jerry - (954) 489-1432 (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- Great Planes Spitfire .40 ARF, Brand New w/o engine .40 to .45 would be awesome this plane is in superior condition. $125 or best offer.
It is already built and been flown about 5-7 times
Rich - (304) 755-7019 - (Winfield, West Virginia)
|New R/C kits, engines, and accessories for sale below mail order prices. For complete list contact Jimmy Jemail via Compuserve 102203,2601 or call (954) 753-0650 (Pompano, FL)|
- Webra .61 new, rear exhaust. $125 or will trade for good 40 - 60 size engine with side exhaust & muffler.
John (954) 962-8575 (Hollywood, FL)
Helicopter IBM-PC Simulator. I'll pick it up anywhere & pay cash!
Eddie - (561) 477-5931 (Boca Raton, FL)
- O.S. 32SX Heli Engine, new, $100
- Learjet 35A Kit, from Model Specialties, 84" foam wing, 96" glass fuse, twin Dynamax fans w/OS 65/77. Glass tip tanks, nacelles, canopy, windshield & frame. Jet Model Products retracts. Complete kit less wing sheeting. Partially built. $600 or Trade for new G-62
Rick - Leave Message: (954) 572-7064 (Sunrise, FL)
- F-14 Tamecat, 2 seperate wings: one straight & one swept, fly with either one. Covered & looks just like the advertised photo, w/.45 engine . $130
Sal - (954) 752-6106 (Coral Springs, FL)
- Top-Flite P-51B Mustang, covered & almost ready to fly.
- Top-Flite P-51D, covered & almost ready to fly.
- Quickie 500, $60
- Top Flite Corsair, 75% finished. Wing & fuse framed up. The hard part's done! I also have retracts for this kit. $190 OBO
- Miniature Aircraft X-Cell .60 Heli, w/spare main blades, Futaba Super 7 heli radio, like new, flown no more than 10 times. $850 OBO or trade for jet
- .35 & .40 OS & Magnum engines, reasonably priced
- Many finished & unfinished planes.
- Many engines (50+) and parts (OS, HP, ASP, Enya, etc.)
- Many spare wings for popular planes
Gary - (954) 791-9592 eves. (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
- BVM Viper Ducted Fan, 75% finished, glass & carbon fiber. BVM K&B .82 engine, on board mixture, oleo struts, decals, retracts. $1,000
- Conquest Air Pattern Plane, w/retracts, YS engine. $200
- Calypso Pattern Plane, w/Weber .61, Futaba PCM 7ch, $300
- Great Planes P-51, needs repair. $50
- Model Tech Sukoi, Almost Ready to Cover, new in box, $200
- OS Max 1.20 4-stroke, low hours. $250
- OS .91 FS 4-stroke, used. $175
- Weber .91, w/muffler. $150
2 - Super Tiger Bluehead .60, $80
4 - JR Servos, Ball Bearing, make offer
2 - OS .15, w/muffler. Make offer
3 - Rhom-Air Gear Sets, Nose & mains, w/plumbing & tanks, $40 per set
- Asst. Spray Paint, Parts, etc. Getting out of hobby.
>>> ALL PRICES NEGOTIABLE <<<
- Weber .61, w/o muffler. $30
*** I Have Lot's of Engines - BUY / SELL / TRADE ***
Brian - (954) 979-8718 (Margate, FL)
|Planes Built, Assembled, Recovered & Repaired. Flite boxes made to order. Stan - (305) 931-7188 (North Miami)||Will Trade
or Sell OS .60 FP - Looking for 90 or 1.20 2-stroke
Stan - (305) 931-7188 (North Miami, FL)
- Super Tiger G21 series .46 engine
- Super Tiger V .60 engine
- For K&B Sky Fury .049: drive washer; For Veco 35: drive washer; For ST G21 .46: Hd., new or LN, 3 rear bearings new.
- Midwest Models Skyraider CL profile stunt Kit, 48" span
- Rossi .15 Engines, Mark 2 or Mark 3 Blackhead
- Old model airplane ignition engines and/or parts. Glow control-line engines and parts. Control-line kits.
Gabe (407) 878-9220 (Port St. Lucie, FL)
- Sullivan Starter, $13
- Great Planes Electric Motor w/ folding prop, $20
- Futaba 4 ch Conquest Radio, compete w/ questionable recvr - make offer
- Great Planes Super Sportster Bipe, never flown, $250 w/o engine
- Rossi .40, like new. $95
- Great Planes CAP 21, 60" wing span. Just completed, never flown - mint. $250 w/o engine
- Enya & O.S. R/C, 2 cyl, 4 cyl engines! Call!
- Kraft 5 channel Radio, extra accesories & servos. Never used.
WILL TRADE ANY OF ABOVE
Jim (954) 923-7715 (Hollywood, FL)
Right Flyer T40 Trainer, engine, radio, tool stand, elec. starter & battery. $400
Adam - (954) 434-3733 after 5pm (Davie, FL)
Midwest AT-6, OS 120FS & servos. Never flown. A1 workmanship. Contest ready. First serious offer of $700
Stan - (561) 750-2172 (Boca Raton, FL)
- 40 size Old Timer, push-pull cables, elev & rudder, tail of fuse is open strut structure - stained & varnished, genuine vintage spoke wheels. $150
Eddie - (954) 389-5212 (Weston, FL)
- Ace 30% Extra 230, smoker, spring starter, quality BB servos, RTF $1,200
- Futaba Super 7, transmitter & receiver. $200
- Ace Seamaster 120, plane only. EXCELLENT CONDITION! $225
TRADE ANY OF ABOVE FOR NEW IN BOX G-62 OR
LABOR FOR BUILDING & REPAIRS
- Direct Connections F20 Tigershark, retracts, Rossi .45 w/tuned pipe RTF $400
Jeff - (954) 562-3504 (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- Citabria, OS .70 Surpass 4 cyl, radio. $450
- Champion Shuler 60 Heli, complete w/radio. $575
- Hirobo Shuttle .30 Heli, w/radio. $450
- Ace 4-40, $130
- Sig Cobra, w/OS .45. $125
- Great Planes PT-60, w/ servos $180
- OS .60 FS, run 3 times, almost new, $89
- Rossi .60, side exhaust, new in box, $99
- Rossi .90, new in box, $249
- Rossi Pipes, Header, carbs, plugs & other parts - new & used for .60's
- Lanier P-51, new , $59
- Lanier Invader, $49
- Magnum Pro .45 & GP .40, new.
- Cox .049, .051, .09, new in box. Many other items. SELL * BUY * TRADE
Isaac - (305) 672-8610 Sun - Fri 9am - 10pm (Miami, FL)
SALE- Left Hobby need to liquidate!
- King Kobra, OS 61 FSR ABC w/type 7M carb, Spring Air Retracts, Futaba 8 ch PCM w/5 FPS130 servos. $750
- Kougar, OS 45 FSR ABC, JR Century VII w/4 servos. $500
- Seamaster, OS 45 FSR ABC, 4 servos (no radio). $450
All first class construction and finish.
- Pica Rapier, wing, fuse & tail 80% finished. $60
- Top Flight P-51, wing w/MK retracts 70% finished. $100
- MK Arrow, kit. All wood. $100
- Miss Ft. Worth, kit by Cunningham. $75
- 2 OS 30 Wankels, $100 ea
- OS FS 60, original 4-stroke. $60
- Supertigre 60, $50
- Flight Box, custom Woodcraft, power panel, 12V Batt & starter. $125
- Misc: servos, 2 Futaba AM 6 ch radios, Battery Cycler, chargers, wheels, covering, tools, tanks, & enough small parts to open a hobby store!
Will sell individually, but would prefer to sell all for $2,200. May consider trade for reliable auto of equal value.
Jim - (954) 929-4828 or (954) 925-1112 (Hollywood, FL)
- Futaba FX-10, 2 wheel drive car w/ 2 stick radio dry w/ 2 road tires & rims - no body. USED. $80
- Futaba FX-10, 2 wheel drive car w/ 2 stick radio dry w/ body. USED. $95
- Futaba FX-10, 2 wheel drive car w/ 2 stick radio dry w/body. NEW. $130
- Flitecraft Minuteman .40, w/ Fox .40 RC, Futaba AM Radio, 4 servos, battery, receiver. ALL NEW. - plus used transmitter. $275
- Lots of Great Planes hardware, fittings, hinges, drill & tap sets, rods, connectors, heat shrink. 1/2 orig. price
Russ (Beeper) (954) 402-5589 (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
- Dynamax Fan Unit, for OS .77 thru .90. New, all built. Never flown. $100
- Great Planes
Electri-Cub, w/05 elec motor, no battery.
- McColough 6 cu. (100cc) Gas Engine, Racing Engine, needs ignition system, $250
- Great Planes F-14 Tomcat w/Spring-Aire retracts & OS .61FSR w/tuned pipe !A Real Bullet! $350
Charles - (954) 920-4441 (Pembroke Pines, FL)